View archival description
005 - Mission Post Office
- 1930-1939 (1935) (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Area: Downtown BIA (Business Industrial Area)
Location:33191 First Avenue
Mission's Post Office is a three storey brick and cement building, a well known fixture of the downtown core. It sits at the corner of First Avenue and Welton Street with a south eastern facing entrance.
The original building was built in 1935 to be Mission's first dedicated post office. It was built in an art deco style at a cost of approximately $13,000.
The building was renovated in 1955 at a cost of $91,641 with additions on the rear and sides. The builders found that the original bricks used in construction were no longer available so the solution was to take some from the back of the building and use them to construct the new front.
In 1982 the entrance was restructured to include wheelchair access but the original look of the building remains largely intact.
Two storey building with rear and western one storey additions built in art deco style. The entrance to the building has steps leading up to it on either side with a wheelchair ramp on the western side. The building is constructed with red bricks and has cement accents down the centre column of the entrance face and around the front of the building above the windows.
Some shrubs and tree are planted on the southern and eastern facing sides of the building.